Moving day is already stressful enough before you even consider the possibility of belongings arriving broken or an unexpected bill. To avoid these issues, you’ll want to vet potential moving companies to ensure you’re choosing the right one for your needs. Following these tips takes only a little extra time and can save you a great deal of hassle.
- Get Referrals – Begin by asking family members, friends, and associates who have recently moved if they can recommend a company. If you’re moving with a real estate agent, ask them a referral.
- Follow the Rule of Threes – Ask at least three different companies for an in-person estimate.
- Reference the Better Business Bureau – Stick with moving companies that are BBB-accredited or those that have a strong rating.
- Ensure the Mover is Licensed and Insured – If you’re staying in-state, check with your local consumer affairs agency. If you’re moving out of state, verify the moving company’s license and request its number from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Be Wary of Large Deposit Requirements – A moving company shouldn’t require a deposit of more than 20 percent of the estimated cost of the move. Many won’t ask for payment until your belongings are delivered. Put any payments on a credit card so you can dispute the charge if there’s wrongdoing.
Glass City Movers is here to handle things for you when you need a quality moving company in Dearborn, MI.